Monday, October 7, 2013

St. George Marathon

 I didn't even know how to blog about this marathon. It was such a mix of emotions. So glad I did it and so glad its over. It was a long 4 months of training. And I thought it was all for naught after one of my shorter runs. I started getting shin pain. I iced it and tried running again and it killed. I thought there was no way I would ever run my marathon.

So I went to Wasatch running and picked their brains and picked up a few item. All which didn't seem to be helping. It hurt even to walk on it.

I iced it so much that I actually fell asleep one time and got frost bite. I am super smart.
I took the whole week off before the race thinking it would do more damage to run on it. Finally it was time to head down to St. George and I found this on my mirror for motivation.

We got to St. George and the kids were so excited to all get their very own pringles.

And the girls were obsessed with beauty salon.

We went to pick up our packets and they were having a kid race and The Hoard wanted in.

It was the most disorganized race ever.

 But the kids had fun and each got a water bottle for finishing.

Then it was off to the serious business of picking up our packets which made me very, very nervous.

We headed out bright and early the next morning. Arnie decided to join us.

The bus ride was so long and I tried not to pay attention to the distance.

Trent got to go into the elite coral and Jake and I headed to the back to use the restrooms. It was perfect timing. As soon as we were done they were calling every one to the starting line.
The race started off good. I had no pain in my shin. I felt great, but not even 1/2 mile into it I had already had to go to the bathroom so bad. Luckily I saw a big bush around mile 3. I ran behind it, did my business, used my headband for TP and headed out a gain.
The best part of the race was running into Veyo and seeing out support crew.

They were so awesome to come out into the cold.

And it was a prefect pick me up to keep running. Too bad it was only mile 7....

The next time we saw them was the finish line and it was the best site I've ever seen.

Obviously Trent came in first. This guy. Really.

Then Jake cruised on in and beat his goal time.

And last but not least (well maybe) I came strolling in. I seriously didn't know if I would make it. When they say the last 6 miles are the hardest you just can't even imagine. I thought I was done at mile 23 and luckily someone was handing out popsicles so I just focused on one bite at a time. That old school popsicle got me to that finish line.

So fun to do it with these 2 too.

And this is how we really felt.

Jake screwed up his IT band and made his own ice pack.

And I just couldn't believe I made it through. And do you want to know how much pain I had in my shins? Nada. Zilch. None. Zero. It really was a miracle.

And can you believe I am married to this guy?
After the race we found some monkeys in a tree. We decided to keep them.

My shins may not of hurt, but I felt this puppy growing every mile.
And I even had my own personal masseuse rub the tightness out of my legs.

While I couldn't even move, it was just another day to Trent and he was out playing with the kids. Love him.

 And once again loved our supporters. It was so fun to see them out on the course. And I loved the posters they made.
  And since our support crew was so awesome they even made it into the St. George Spectrum.
And now that all is said and done I am so happy I ran a marathon. I can say that I loved every minute of it. The adrenaline, the pain, the despair, the happiness, the fear, the exhilaration...all of it. I will definitely be doing one again....sometime. 

No comments: